font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Day 31: Hercules

That's the Gospel Truth: Our 31st movie!

1. What movie did you watch?
Hercules. Released in 1997, the film is based on the stories of Heracles from Greek mythology. The movie was directed by Ron Clements and John Musker and British cartoonist Gerald Scarfe was recruited as production designer where over seven hundred visualization designs of the characters were produced, and research trips to Greece and Turkey provided inspiration for the background designs. Fun fact: James Woods did a lot of ad-libbing in his recordings, especially in Hades's dialogues with Megara. The supervising animators then based Hades's movements off of this, and the character became "a Hollywood agent, a car salesman type".

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I would say I watched it a couple months ago- sometime over the summer.
Alexis: I've seen it many times, it's another favorite of mine, I watched it last over the summer.

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: SO MANY! This movie is in my top five favorites and is very special to me. The main memory I have is of my Meg (and kinda Hercules) birthday party when I was little- she was my absolute favorite. 
Alexis: My sister and some friends of ours went through a huge Hercules phase circa 2009. I'm not sure why we singled out this Disney movie in particular, but we loved it. We watched it so many times, and I always think of them when I watch the movie and hear the music.

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I LOVED IT!!! There are so many poignant moments and beautiful songs in this film. I am also a Greek mythology nerd (I also love the Percy Jackson series) so this movie was the beginnings of that love.

Alexis: Love it! I think it's a very inspiring story, and it's a great way to introduce creatures and characters of Greek mythology to kids (even if the story itself is inaccurate). I also think that all the characters are extremely strong. You have the comedy from Phil, the positivity of Hercules, the awesomeness of Meg, and the sarcasm of Hades. It's a great ensemble of characters and it makes the movie extremely fun to watch and quote. 


5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: While "Go the Distance" is always so uplifting and a jam- the ultimate jam and one of my favorite Disney songs of all time, and definitely my favorite part of the movie is "Won't say I'm in love."

Alexis: I can't choose just one favorite moment! The musical numbers are my favorite parts, they're all so good! "Wont Say I'm in Love" is amazing, and I can do every word of "Zero to Hero". My favorite character is Hades, (I find we share that sarcastic humor), so I love his scenes too.


6. Any other comments:
Maddie: Hades is also one of my favorite Disney villains; sometimes he just gets me:

Alexis: I have a question; who put the glad in gladiator?

No comments:

Post a Comment