font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Monday, November 16, 2015

Day 34: Lion King 2

We Are Not One, We're Two! (And we're not lion): Our 34th Movie!

1. What movie did you watch?
The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. Although it was released in 1998, talks of the possibility of a sequel to the Lion King began before the first film even hit theaters. The film is very loosely based on Romeo and Juliet, although elements of the plot are not taken as directly from the play as it’s predecessor took from Hamlet. Fun fact: Kovu was originally supposed to be Scar’s son, but this was changed in the movie because it would have meant that he and Kiara were first cousins once removed. 

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I have seen it before but not in a LONG time- I remember I would watch it on Disney Channel every now and then.
Alexis: I also haven't seen it in a very long time. We used to own it on VHS, but I don't think I've seen it since watching it on tape!

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: The song He lives in you is amazing and my roommates and I used to sing along to it freshman year (really just me, Alexis, and our roommate Kathryn). It was in the Broadway show as well.

Alexis: Just seeing it reminds me of my sister flushing her Kovu figurine down the toilet (which I believe I mentioned when we did the Lion King post). She was very little, and the thing I remember most from the incident was her distraught shout of "KOVUUUUUU".

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I liked it- its not one of my favorites but its enjoyable overall.
Alexis: I enjoyed it, but mostly because I really like the characters of the Lion King and I like seeing them in other stories. It's also nostalgic for me because I used to watch it a lot when I was little.

5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: I think my favorite moment was when Kovu gets exiled solely for the fact that it is so completely over dramatic! It's something out of a soap opera!

Alexis: I think my favorite part is the song that Simba and Kiara sing towards the beginning of the movie, "We Are One". I just really like the song, and it's a nice moment.

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: All I can think about is how poor Simba is suffering from PTSD as manifested in his dreams. As my roommate Erin would say: "I just want him to find his peace."
Alexis: Instead of being exiled to the Outlands, Kovu was exiled to the sewer in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment