font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Day 36: Fantasia 2000

The One Where Alexis Gets Really Bored: Our 36th Film!

1. What movie did you watch?
Fantasia 2000. Released on the cusp of 1999/2000, the movie is a follow up to Disney’s Fantasia. A follow-up had been in the works for many years, but it wasn’t until the successful home video release of Fantasia came out that the decision went through. The movie is made up of 7 new segments, as well as the famous “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” sequence featuring Mickey, from the first Fantasia. Various celebrities introduce each segment, including Steve Martin and Angela Lansbury. Fun fact: Rhapsody in Blue is the first Fantasia segment with music from an American composer.

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I have seen it before but it's been a couple years.
Alexis: I've never seen it all the way through, but I've seen a couple of the scenes before.

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: I remember going to see this in IMAX theaters with a group of friends. I liked it, but I don't think everyone did. This is one of the ones I had on DVD because my parents also really liked to watch it.
Alexis: None?

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I know this opinion is sadly unpopular but I really love this one. I thought the pieces they picked for this Fantasia were much better than the original and the animation to go along with it was very entertaining. In addition, I appreciate that they didn't only use traditional classical music and brought back iconic pieces along with the new. The animation in this film overall is very beautiful.

Alexis: I thought it was very beautifully done, but it's not one of my favorites. One thing that really stuck out to me compared to the first one was the segments in between each number. Steve Martin spoke during one, two magicians spoke during another, and several orchestra members and animators popped up as well. Most of the segments were lighthearted and funny, with the speakers making jokes, and it set a very different tone than the first one. This Fantasia is definitely geared more towards kids and families.

5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: By far my favorite piece from this movie is Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin which is animated in the style of famous cartoonist Al Hirschfeld. Not only is it a whole lot of fun, but I love the piece of music and the stories of the four strangers are really great.

Alexis: The Rhapsody in Blue one was my favorite also! The animation works so well with the music!

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: You can hate on it all you want but I think this movie is great!
Alexis: It's a good movie, just not my jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment