font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Day 35: Tarzan

Goodbye Disney Renaissance: Our 35th Movie!!

1. What movie did you watch?
Tarzan. The movie, released in 1999, was based on the story Tarzan of the Apes. The production team traveled to Uganda and Kenya to study gorillas for the film. At the time of its release it was the most expensive animated film ever made, with a production budget of $130 million. It received box office success and critical acclaim, and inspired a prequel, a sequel, a tv series, and a Broadway musical. Fun fact: Phil Collins was asked to provide the music for the movie, because the directors wanted a "contemporary but powerful" soundtrack that didn't involve any of the characters singing. Director Kevin Lima stated "I just couldn't see this half-naked man sitting on a branch breaking out in song. I thought it would be ridiculous."  

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: Yes, I used to love it, and the soundtrack is one of my favorites (Bless Phil Collins), but not in a while.
Alexis: I watched it right at the end of the summer, it's a convenient one to pop on since it's still on Netflix!

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: At Disneyland the Swiss family Robinson Treehouse became Tarzan's Treehouse after the movie's popularity. When you are in line for Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones you can ALWAYS hear Sabor (the leopard) roaring from the boat part of the house.
 
Alexis: No real specific memories with this one, aside from reminding me of being little. The music reminds me of listening to the soundtrack when driving around in the car.

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: It was great- such a touching story and the music enhances it greatly. The opening is so vivid and action packed (but sad)- they jump right in and its great!

Alexis: I think this is another beautiful movie in terms of the animation. The shots of the jungle scenery and animals are amazingly done. Like the Lion King, the animators did an amazing job integrating realistic nature into the story. Also, the Phil Collins soundtrack is just so perfect.



5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: I think his first introduction moment with Jane is so great (is a bit typical for everyone to choose) and the music is also so key throughout the movie.
They are such a sweet couple, honestly I ship it.

Alexis: All of the songs! Trashing the Camp, Two Worlds, Strangers Like Me, they're all such great scenes and it's impossible not to sing along! All of the scenes with Kala and Tarzan are great too, I love their scenes. I think they're so sweet, and their relationship is a very important part of the story. I think it's really well done.


6. Any other comments:
Maddie: Can we talk about how Terk is a girl and we barely noticed it all along???

Alexis: There's no way Tarzan's parents could have built that treehouse all by themselves with the meager supplies that they had. No way.

Also, I was traumatized when my roommate Amy told me that Tarzan was voiced by the guy who plays Fitz (the president) on the tv show Scandal. I despise his character on that show and now I can't listen to Tarzan speak in the same way again.


No comments:

Post a Comment