font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Halloween Special: The Nightmare Before Christmas

What's this? Another Halloween Special!

1. What movie did you watch?
The Nightmare Before Christmas. The movie was released in 1993, and the first stop-motion film by Disney. The Nightmare Before Christmas originated in a poem written by Tim Burton in 1982, and he originally intended to turn it into a TV special similar to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Disney bought the rights but the project's development eventually stalled because its tone seemed "too weird" to the company. Burton and Disney came back together to begin the project in 1990, although Burton did not end up directing because he didn’t want to be involved with "the painstakingly slow process of stop motion". The film was only mildly successful at the box office, but became a cult hit when it was released to home video in 1994 and DVD in 1997. Fun fact: Filmmakers made 227 puppets to represent the characters in the movie. 

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I have- I usually watch it once a year around Halloween/Christmas time, so that's probably how long it's been!
Alexis: We watched it last Halloween, so pretty much a year ago!

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: It made me think largely of haunted mansion holiday! Every year around Halloween/Christmas Haunted Mansion in Disneyland gets a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. It gets a haunted gingerbread house and is just ten times better than regular haunted mansion. I love it every year!!

Alexis: I don't have too many memories around it because I didn't watch it a lot when I was younger, but it definitely reminds me of watching Disney Channel because they always used to play "This is Halloween" during commercial breaks around Halloween.

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I loved it as usual. I always marvel at the fact that it's made using claymation- It's SO amazing! I have such respect for the people who make these movies.

Alexis: I agree, I always marvel at the style and format of the movie, claymation is so cool! The design of all the Halloween characters are amazing, I notice something different about them every time. The music is also great.


5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: Probably the song, "What's this?" which is so cliched but I like what I like. It's just so clever, this movie has so many clever moments as a whole.

Alexis: Oh I can top that in terms of cliche, my favorite part is the opening and "This is Halloween". 


6. Any other comments:
Maddie: Honestly Jack and Sally are kinda OTP, what a cool couple.

Alexis: Has anyone heard the covers of this soundtrack by bands like Panic! at the Disco and Fall Out Boy? Because they're amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment