font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Monday, October 26, 2015

Day 30: The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Hellfire: Our 30th Movie!!

1. What movie did you watch?
The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The film is based on the 1831 novel of the same name by French author Victor Hugo. Several of the directors, writers, and composer Alan Menken took a trip to Paris and studied Notre Dame and the surrounding area. They received a private tour of hidden passageways and towers, which served as inspiration for Quasimodo’s home. Fun fact: It was decided that the villain Claude Frodo would be a judge instead of an archdeacon, in order to avoid religious controversy with the Church. 

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I watched it last spring or at the beginning of the summer, so not too long ago.
Alexis: It's been quite a while for me, I haven't seen it in several years.

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: I used to have a customized birthday book where it told the story of a festival that all the characters (except Frolo) went to and they all wished me happy birthday! This link sells what I believe I had.
Alexis: Not many, since I didn't watch it that much as a kid either. I remember "A Guy Like You" extremely vividly because it was on a Disney sing-along video I used to have.

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I liked it! It's not my favorite of all but it's a fun movie and the story is much darker than I remembered. Definitely much darker than many others- the world overall is very mean and cynical towards Quasi, which I understand is generally a part of the story but it also is not an idea that Disney likes to portray much. This probably wouldn't happen in a Disney movie today: 

Alexis: It's darker than I remembered but it's a very picturesque film to watch. The animation of Notre Dame and the interiors/exteriors of the cathedral are stunning. The music is beautiful and fits the movie well; I really like all the songs in it! It's also more layered in religion/racial issues and is therefore deeper than many other Disney movies, which is probably why I thought it was boring as a little kid.

5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: I would say my favorite moment is probably the song "Out There" it's so heartbreaking and beautiful. The animation is also so beautiful in certain parts.

Alexis: The musical numbers are the best part in my opinion. I also think Captain Phoebus is funny, I love his scene with Esmerelda in the cathedral when they're fighting with a sword / candle holder. He and the goat, Djali, are my favorites so I enjoyed their scenes.

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: I take issue with two things regarding this movie. The first is that as a child, I don't know what I thought "Hellfire" was about but as an adult I can't believe they had Frolo sing a whole song about how he was upset about Esmerelda making him have sexy thoughts.
The second issue I have is that the sequel is absolutely horrible. the animation just looks like nothing else Disney has made and is the worst. And I so badly wanted it to be good since Quasi got a love interest and got to be truly happy.
Look at that! I just don't understand why it looks that way!!!

Alexis: I would just like to point out that this movie is tame compared to the original book. I'm surprised they included Hellfire, but that song is nothing compared to the creepiness of his feelings in the book. Also, I can't help it, Hellfire is a catchy song, it gets stuck in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment