font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 5: Bambi

  "This movie sure feels long"! Our fifth movie!

1. What movie did you watch?
 Bambi.  This film was originally released in 1942, which was years after it was originally planned.  The problems arose with the animation of the deer.  Disney wanted the animals in Bambi to be more realistic than those in Snow White.  The animators actually visited a zoo to study real life forest animals.  It received mixed reviews when first released; children were upset over the death of Bambi's mother, while Hunters believed that it sent the wrong message.  It did not receive its critical acclaim until one of its re-releases.  

2. Have you seen it before/how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I have seen it before, but not in years, largely because I don't want to cry on a daily basis.
Alexis: I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen it, probably 10 years or so.

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: Bambi is really just known for being incredibly sad when his mother gets shot by hunters. It's pretty heartbreaking, so I really only remember that. Re-watching it now, I forgot what the rest of the movie was about, to be honest!
Alexis: Very sad memories; I believe the reason I didn't watch it much as a kid is because it made me sad and I didn't like that.  Although it also made me think of the really cute Thumper pin that I got at Disney World.  Is Pin Trading still a thing?  I loved that, I thought it was the coolest idea. (For the record, pin trading is still a thing! -Maddie)

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: It was absolutely beautiful and heartrendingly sad, but man, it feels like it just went on with nothing happening for a long time. It seemed to be more of a portrait of life than what we see as a typical movie nowadays. But, boy, was it beautiful! 

Alexis: I liked it, but I agree that there was not a large amount of plot.  There were interesting characters, and beautiful scenery, but the actual story line became a little boring at times.  All of the animals were super adorable though! This is definitely a movie where you see the "cute Disney stereotype" with all the happy animals running around to a happy song.

5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: This:
Also, the owl gives a sex talk, I can't even!

Alexis: The scene where Bambi and Thumper are ice skating is super cute, I love how Thumper tries to teach Bambi!

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: The passage of time in this movie makes no sense. None. I was very confused the whole time.
Alexis: Literally fall is shown by one passing scene of leaves, then it's winter for a long time.  Also, Bambi and his friends are young still in winter, yet by spring they are suddenly fully grown adults.  What.  Like a month passed.  How did that happen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment