font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Day 4: Dumbo

Baby, mine, my oh my-the tears! Our fourth movie!

 
1. What movie did you watch?
Dumbo.  The film was released in 1941 and is the fourth animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series.  It is based upon a children's story written by Helen Aberson.  Dumbo was the most financially successful Disney film of the 1940s; both Pinocchio and Fantasia did not turn a profit.
 
2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I had watched it a couple times when I was younger, but only remembered the sad or scary parts, so never went back and watched it again.
Alexis: I have seen it before but it's been at least eight years!

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: Largely it brought back memories of the scary parts, blocking out any good, which there are many. It also brought back two other groups: memories about middle school and memories of Disneyland. Dumbo plays a big part in Disney parks:
His ride was one of my favorites when I was younger, and even though I haven't gone on it since I was little, it is a fixture at the parks. It brought back memories of middle school because the movie had themes of being who you are and accepting it, and middle school was the time when I went through that.


Alexis: Watching the movie brought back memories of the very large collection of Disney stuffed toys that I had, one of which was Timothy the mouse.  He was always one of my favorites, and he's just too cute.

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I remembered not liking it, but rewatching it, I really enjoyed it! While the movie definitely had some more adult parts (they get drunk and hallucinate):
And a tad racist (see the crows), it was so short and sweet. I may have teared up.

Alexis: Maddie definitely teared up!  Overall I have to say that I really liked it; it was shorter than I expected, but the story was very fun.  The circus scenes were great, especially the ones with the clowns.  Yes some scenes were harsh, but overall it was entertaining to watch.  Also, I think Dumbo's ears just made him even more adorable! 


5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: Definitely when he learns to fly and also Baby, Mine: Dumbo's lullaby from his mother.

Alexis: Any time that Dumbo held on to Timothy's tail!  The elephants all traveled around while holding each others tails in a line, and when Dumbo's mother was locked up, the others ignored him.  Timothy led him around and let him hold on to his tail as a replacement, and it was precious. 

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: I just loved it! I would definitely watch it again!
Alexis: Dumbo is adorable and everyone else is a jerk for making fun of the baby.

2 comments:

  1. Maddie: definately some racist elements / stereotyping with those crows. Alexis: this was one of your favorites when you were very little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally didn't know that! I must have been REALLY young!

    ReplyDelete