font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Day 41: The Emperor's New Groove

Boom Baby: Our 41st Movie!

1. What movie did you watch?
The Emperor's New Groove. Released in 2000, the movie was a mild success both critically and at the box office. It is loosly based on the tale of The Emperor’s New Clothes. The movie originally started as a screenplay called The Kingdom of the Sun, before being completely re-written into a new film. Fun Fact: This is the first Disney animated feature to show a pregnant woman: Pacha's wife, Chicha.

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I saw it maybe three or four weeks ago. It's one of my favorites to watch before I go to bed because it always makes me think happy thoughts.
Alexis: I watched it over the summer when it was on TV.

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: No specific memories because it's not one I really connected with and appreciated until I was older, but I do remember watching the spin-off show: Emperor's New School.
Alexis: This was another one that my sister and I used to watch on road trips a lot, so it reminds me of driving in the car and going on trips.

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I loved it!! It's one of my favorite Disney films. It has such great humor- there are all sorts of jokes that work for adults and young children: 

Alexis: I really liked it, this movie is hilarious! The sense of humor is very different from most other Disney movies, and I like that it's unique. I think with this movie in particular you can tell that the Disney renaissance is over, not because this movie is bad (I love it) but because it leaves the formula of that era behind. It's not a princess/prince movie, and it has more humor and less song. 

5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: Anything with Kronk, I just relate to him in a lot of ways, our love of cooking especially.  He also bucks so many norms around masculinity and it's great.

But if I had to pick one moment it would be Kronk doing squirrel speak- I love it!!




Alexis: I really can't pick a favorite either! I also love all the Kronk moments, such as his little angel and devil companions or when he's sneaking through the palace with Kuzco in the bag. I also love the scene at the diner. The whole movie is made up of great lines and moments!

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: This is definitely one of the most quotable movies- there are so many line I remember I used to repeat as a child (honestly I still do).

Alexis: I also loved the TV show on Disney Channel, Emperor's New School, Maddie and I watched the Christmas episode of it this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment