font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Day 42: Atlantis: The Lost Empire

DIVE DIVE DIVE (into Atlantis): Our 42nd Movie!


1. What movie did you watch?
Atlantis: The Lost Empire. The movie was released in 2001, and made greater use of computer-generated imagery (CGI) than any of Disney's previous traditionally animated features. The movie is notable for adopting the distinctive visual style of comic book creator Mike Mignola, one of four production designers on the film. The production team was inspired by Jules Verne's A Journey to the Center of the Earth, and visited museums and old army installations to study the technology of the early 20th century (the film's time period), and traveled 800 feet underground in New Mexico's Carlsbad Caverns to view the subterranean trails. Fun Fact: The final pull-out scene of the movie, immediately before the end-title card, was described by the directors as the most difficult scene in the history of Disney animation. The scene begins with one 16-inch piece of paper showing a close-up of Milo and Kida. As the camera pulls away from them to reveal the newly restored Atlantis, it reaches the equivalent of an 18,000-inch piece of paper composed of many individual pieces of paper (24 inches or smaller). Each piece was carefully drawn and combined with animated vehicles simultaneously flying across the scene to make the viewer see a complete, integrated image.

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I have, but it was three years ago. I liked it as a kid but as an adult I've realized it's definitely not near the top of my list.
Alexis: I haven't seen this movie in probably 12 years. I remember seeing it as a kid but we never owned it, and it's not a movie that any of Disney's TV channels play anymore (and I can see why).

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: I named my fish as a kid after Milo: he was my favorite.
Alexis: No memories of this movie in particular came back to me, but the movie itself did remind me of Indiana Jones!

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I liked it! I think the world building is really cool, and it's a great take-off on different genres but not the best overall.
Alexis: It was okay, it definitely wasn't one of my favorites. I liked a lot of the characters, but I never became invested in the plot. Like I never found myself caring about why Atlantis was underwater or what the crystals really did. To me the best parts were the diverse and funny characters. I also liked the steampunk elements. 


5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: Milo is bae- probably one of my top Disney men. Just look at him giving his presentation:
I think my favorite moment of his is when Kida is showing him around the city- they have great chemistry (for animated characters):
Alexis: I didn't have a favorite moment. A few scenes I liked in particular were the introductions to the crew members, and the stories they told Milo. 

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: I think the movie also has such a great group dynamic:

Alexis: Milo is Dr. Henry Jones if he never took on the more daring/charismatic persona of Indiana Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment