font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Day 14: The Jungle Book

We (Shere) Khhhan't handle it! Our 14th movie!


1. What movie did you watch?
The Jungle Book. The film was inspired by Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, which is much more dark and sinister.  Walt Disney decided that he wanted to make the story more straightforward and family friendly, however his head writer did not agree. This led to the leaving of head writer and story man Bill Peet, and the promotion of Larry Clemmons. The Jungle Book was the first to include many recognizable Disney voice actors, such as Phil Harris and Sterling Holloway. It also cast famous musician Louis Prima as King Louis the orangutan. A not so fun fact: This was the final film that Walt Disney himself worked on, and he sadly passed away part way through production.  

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I have! I watched it probably about a month ago!

Alexis: I have definitely watched it before (many times), but I can't remember the last time.

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: It brought back so many memories of watching this as a child with my friends and acting out the whole movie as different characters in front of the TV! The more I watch it as an adult the more I appreciate those memories.

Alexis: It brought back general memories of watching this movie as a kid with my family. Also, whenever I hear Louis Prima's music, I 'm just reminded of my dad because we used to listen to his music all the time and dance around. 


4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I LOVED IT! This is probably my all time favorite Disney movie. I watch it whenever I need a pick me up or am feeling particularly nostalgic. Watching it back this time I developed a real appreciation for both the music and the sound effects. They used it so effectively. Speaking of, here is some really cool footage of Louis Prima when he was recording "I Wanna Be Like You."

Alexis: I love this one, it's definitely in my top 10 favorites! The songs in it are some of the best. 

5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: I love the friendship between Baloo, Baghera, and Mowgli! It's so amazing and encouraging, and I think when I was little I learned a lot about having friends from this movie.

Alexis: I really like the King Louis dance sequence at the ruins, you literally can't sit still during it! Also, anything with Baghera because his sarcasm is off the charts and he's my favorite. 


6. Any other comments:
Maddie: There are a ton of "topical"  (for the time) references in this movie that I really love. It has much more of a place and time than most Disney movies and I think that is really special. For example, Beatles Vultures:
And people on LSD every time Kah hypnotizes them:


Alexis: I enjoy that Phil Harris voices Baloo and then shortly after he voices Little John in Robin Hood and they're both bears that look very similar. That's my comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment