font-family: 'Dancing Script', cursive;

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Day 24: The Rescuers Down Under

Taking a trip down under with The Rescuers: Our 24th Movie!

1. What movie did you watch?
The Rescuers Down Under. The film is a sequel to the 1977 movie The Rescuers, which is based on a book series. The movie is notable for being the first animated Disney movie to use the new computerized CAPS process, which is a digital paint and ink tool that replaced the traditional practice of hand- painting cells. The film also has many moments created using CGI technology, such as the opening sequence. [Not so]Fun fact: This movie is the least successful film of the Disney Renaissance. 

2. Have you seen it before/ how long has it been since you last saw it?
Maddie: I haven't seen it since I was a little girl. I didn't watch it often because it upset me how mistreated the animals were. I was also never big into the rescuers- I know I saw this movie before I saw the original.
Alexis: It's probably been 10 years since I've seen it. I watched it a lot as a kid but after we got rid of our VHS player I had no way to watch it until now (thank you, Netflix).

3. What memories did it recall?
Maddie: It really reminds of the documentary, Waking Sleeping Beauty, which chronicles the Disney Renaissance. There is a section about this movie and how it was a proving ground for CGI and because the movie flopped Disney didn't want to invest in the technology- if only they had known.
Alexis: It totally brought back memories of my animal-obsessed childhood. I was an avid watcher of The Crocodile Hunter, and I wanted to go to Australia before I even understood how long it takes to get there. I knew the names of all the Australian animals in the movie, and I was already aware of poachers and how awful they are. The animal and conservation focus of this movie made it perfect for little 6 year old Alexis, and I wanted to be Cody so badly! 

4. What did you think of it?
Maddie: I enjoyed it, but it's by no means one of my favorites. I really appreciate the camera work and the conservationist message, though.

Alexis: I really liked it! Like Maddie mentioned, I think it has a very important message and it portrays it well to children. The animation is also great, even if they did use CGI a little too much. All the animals are so cute and nicely drawn, it makes the movie very visually appealing!

5. Favorite moment:
Maddie: My favorite moment is when Marahuté flies with Cody, it's a great bonding moment and she is just amazingly animated.

Alexis: I actually agree with Maddie, those scenes are also my favorite! The first time that Cody flies on Marahuté after rescuing her is the best, and I always wanted to do that when I was little! 

6. Any other comments:
Maddie: Joanna is the actual worst. Not even Mcleach likes her. And I don't blame him.

Alexis: I still want to visit Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment